How To Boost Your Immune System To Fight Against COVID-19?
The outbreak of COVID-19 has had people from all over the world in a state of panic and distress. Apart from practicing social distancing and good hygiene, another way to fight the disease from spreading is to boost and strengthen your immune system.
Keeping your immune system healthy year-round is key to preventing infection and disease. Here are a few ways to have an improved immune system to fight against COVID-19.
Get Adequate Sleep
The amount of sleep you're getting each night can make a big difference in your body's ability to fight infection.
Studies show that people who are sleep deprived are more prone to getting sick. Without sufficient sleep, your body does not make enough cytokines, which are small proteins essential for creating an immune response. What’s more, is that sleep loss can even make vaccines and medication less effective, reducing your body’s ability to respond to them.
Good sleep allows the body to rejuvenate and fight off infection along with a good, well-balanced diet. Give your body the opportunity to properly recharge every night by getting enough sleep. For most adults, that means seven to eight hours, with children requiring more.
Manage Your Stress
In this age of uncertainty, lowering your stress level is easier said than done. But health experts say high-stress levels have negative impacts on your body's ability to fight off illness.
Stress management techniques such as avoiding social media, getting enough sleep, exercising, or keeping yourself hydrated can help you feel more relaxed. A daily regimen of 30 to 60 minutes of low-to-moderate intensity physical activity will help your immune system function at its best. A properly hydrated body is best equipped for maximum immunity. Similarly, avoid excessive alcohol consumption as it can act as a diuretic and reduce hydration.
These lifestyle habits lay the foundation for a strong immune system and a healthy body that fights infection.
Consuming a wide variety of fruits and vegetables is important to support a healthy immune system. Supplementing with certain vitamins and minerals can improve immune response and potentially protect against illness. Here are 3 supplements that are known for their immune-boosting potential.
- Vitamin D is a fat-soluble nutrient essential to the health and functioning of your immune system. In fact, low vitamin D levels are associated with an increased risk of upper respiratory tract infections, including influenza and allergic asthma
- Food rich in Vitamin D: mackerel, salmon, fortified foods (mushrooms, milk, orange juice, tofu, soy beverages, some cereals), and egg yolks
- Zinc is needed for immune cell development and communication and plays an important role in the inflammatory response. Numerous studies reveal that zinc supplements may protect against respiratory tract infections like the common cold
- Food rich in Zinc: fish, lean beef, chicken, turkey, dairy products, eggs, legumes, & soy-based foods
- Vitamin C helps keep your immune system healthy by clearing out old cells and replacing them with new ones. Supplementing with this nutrient may reduce the duration and severity of upper respiratory tract infections
- Food rich in Vitamin C: red bell peppers, broccoli, strawberries, spinach, and citrus fruits like oranges, lemons, and grapefruit
Coronavirus is a new threat that we are facing as a planet. As such, all we can do is take care of ourselves as best we can and be open to ways to stay mentally and physically healthy. Focusing on these three steps gives you a solid foundation to burn fat, build strong muscle, and fight infection.